Why Trade Bitcoin Futures?
- Get exposure to Bitcoin price moves without holding Bitcoins. Leverage the opportunity to buy, sell and trade bitcoin futures or implement your trading strategies without having to pay for the actual currency.
- Trade based on your outlook or hedge your Bitcoin risk. Buy and sell bitcoin futures in a highly regulated marketplace nearly 24 hours a day, five days per week, with the flexibility to invest and divest at the optimal time for your specific trading strategy.
Get Ready to Trade Bitcoin
- Open Your Futures Trading Account
- Fund Your Futures Trading Account - Based on the current Bitcoin price1, you should plan to fund with a minimum of $5,000 - $50,000 to meet anticipated margin requirements depending which contract you intend to trade and whether you will hold overnight positions.
- Read Bitcoin Futures FAQ from CME Group - Learn about the product launch and overview, product details, CME CF Bitcoin Reference Rate (BRR), fee and margin details, and more.
- Read the Cboe XBT Bitcoin Futures “Fact Sheet” - Get a summary product specifications chart for Cboe Bitcoin (USD) Futures.
Where Are Bitcoin Futures Traded?
XBT (1 Bitcoin / contract)
Now Available (launched 12/10)
BTC (5 Bitcoins / contract)
The CME Group contract (symbol "BTC") began trading on December 18, 2017, building off of the success of the BRR and demand for a regulated trading venue for the digital asset market. The contract is cash-settled, based on the CME CF Bitcoin Reference Rate (BRR) which serves as a once-a-day reference rate of the U.S. dollar price of bitcoin. Bitcoin futures are listed on and subject to the rules of CME.2
According to the CME Group website, margins are calculated using CME’s standard benchmarking process for newly-launched contracts. Margin offsets with other CME products will not be offered initially. Additionally, FCMs may require a margin level beyond CME Clearing’s minimum requirement.
Cboe Futures Exchange, LLC (CFE) launched trading in Cboe bitcoin futures at 5:00 p.m. Central Time on December 10 under the ticker symbol "XBT". XBT℠ futures are cash-settled contracts based on the Gemini's auction price for bitcoin, denominated in U.S. dollars. Gemini Trust Company, LLC (Gemini) is a digital asset exchange and custodian founded in 2014 that allows customers to buy, sell, and store digital assets such as bitcoin, and is subject to fiduciary obligations, capital reserve requirements, and banking compliance standards of the New York State Department of Financial Services.3
The XBT contract is now available for live trading through our platform.
Bitcoin Futures Contract Specifications
|CFE Bitcoin Futures||CME Group Bitcoin Futures|
|Name||Cboe Bitcoin (USD) Futures||Bitcoin Futures|
|Listing Date||December 10, 2017||December 18, 2017|
|Platform||Cboe Command||CME Globex|
|Quantity||1 BTC||5 BTC|
|Valuation||Gemini auction price for BTC in U.S. dollars||CME CF BTC Reference Rate (BRR)|
|Trading Hours||Sunday: 5:00 p.m. CST to Monday 3:15 p.m. CST|
Tuesday to Friday: 3:30 p.m. CST to 3:15 p.m. CST
|Sunday to Friday 6:00 p.m. CST to 5:00 p.m. CST|
(60-minute break each day beginning at 5:00 p.m)
|Full Contract Specs||XBT Contract Specs||BTC Contract Specs|